Friday 6 November 2009

New Hadouken! Single...


Hadouken! havn't sold out, but it's not far off.

That may sound harsh to other listeners, and I'm not even sure it's a justified comment to make myself, but the new single "M.A.D." (Mutually Assured Destruction, for the less geeky readers) feels, I dunno, cheaper than anything on the last album, "Music for an accelerated Culture"

Hadouken! Lead singer, James Smith, is on record pre-single release saying that the new work by the band would be, less game influenced, and that their lyrics would not be based around social commentary, as per their previous works.

And in some respects, he's right. Don't get me wrong, I like the new single. It features the same bassy hooks as the last album, and a lot of the same synthesised sound that harkens back to midi influenced game soundtracks, so as far as their actual sound goes, it hasn't changed to much. It's evolved slightly, changed and tweaked, but hasn't undergone a massive overhaul. It's what I expected from James Smith really, as an accomplished producer himself, he's talented and knkows how things should sound. It won't offend the bands retro-game-playing-doom-fan-indie-boy-listeners, shall we say. And like the last album, it's rave danceable. I'd play M.A.D. in a club. I'd probably get 'hella props' for doing it too.

But I think this is where the single starts to loose it's integrity. One of the main factors for me, when I started listening to Hadouken! in the first place, aside from the infinitely cool midi-electro influence, was the lyrics.

Liquid Lives was a commentary on the UK's binge drinking fanaticism, Spend Your lives was a epitaph for the countries credit culture. That Boy That Girl was a scathing review on UK indie culture. Every single meant something. Even songs like "Crank It Up" and "Get Smashed Gate Crashed" had an underpinning of critical analysis of youth culture.

The album was a successful, intelligent yet foot-loose, rave record. Landing amazingly on both sides of the fence. It encouraged you to get absolutely fucked, and yet put a thumb on the underlying issues at the same time.

Enter Shikari's records do the same thing. So much so that the two bands are linked in my mind, along with "Does it offend you, Yeah?"... So much so that when Enter Shikari released their new album, I immediately thought "oooh, Hadouken!'s new album must be on the way too" and I was totally psyched. And totally right. However, Enter Shikari's new album dealt with social issues MORE. To the point where they even sound tongue in cheek and even piss-takey. And of course, they are. Chatting on a forum with Rou Reynolds, he said "You have to have a sense of humour", And it works as a medium. And an album.

M.A.D's lyrics however, are much less analytical. In-fact, there are less lyrics. Take any single from "Music for an accelerated Culture" and the songs are busting with lyrical content. M.A.D. however, follows a much simpler, club orientated lyrical format. It even sounds a little... dare I say, Chavvy (Chav Savvy, of course). I'm not being naive, I know that Hadouken! have grime influence, but the new records less grime, and more R'n'B.

Hadouken! are obviously building an LP meant to be played be played loud, in clubs, and at concerts. Which isn't a bad thing. It's a great thing. I love my loud bassy incomprehensibly foot moving music as much as the next guy. Probably more than the next guy. But it wasn't what I expected from Hadouken! Personally the remixes are where I expect to hear the club thumpers. There are already 2 amazing remixes of M.A.D. to prove the point as well. Be sure to check them out too.

I'm not disappointed with the the new single, I just expected... more.

But, don't take my word for it, It is an amazing track still, and in it's own right. And all the previews around the internet of the rest of the album look promising too. Listen to it and make up your own mind. You might disagree with me, you might think I'm full of shit. I make no apologies for this review and the way I feel, I'm still gonna buy the album. I just don't think it will compare with "Music for an accelerated Culture"

But hey, that's why they call it a "difficult second album" right?

Check it out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment